Monday, February 06, 2006

Off to Work

Didn't feel good, couldn't sleep. Decided to finish reading "The Kite Runner" (by Khaled Hosseini).
"The Kite Runner" is excellent. No doubt about that. But it is also brutally sad. As soon as the story took a turn for the worse, it was really difficult for me to keep reading. But I slogged through, mainly so I could put the darn thing away and move on to "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith. I mean, so I could get back to my writing.

"The Kite Runner" is a haunting novel, and it's probably best to read it without knowing too much about it (if you're like me). Also, good to remember that it is a novel and not a memoir. When I started I thought it was a memoir and I nearly felt ill - till I realized the actual narrative wasn't real. (Yes, it's set in the very real recent history of Afghanistan, but the narrative is fiction.) Thank goodness.

Anyhow, I'm off to sell coffee to sleepy people.

I'll add linkage later.

3 comments:

Bob W. said...

JM,
the Kite Runner sounds intriguing, and I haven't read a good novel that really made me think in awhile, so it will probably be my next purchase. I spent some time in Afghanistan a few years ago, so it will be interesting to compare the author's point of view to my own experience there.
It sounds like you are on track with your writing, too. I started my blog(s) to force me to write on a regular basis. I hope my blogs will compel me to maintain writing discipline and post meaningful stuff regularly. I am trying to strengthen my own writing ability, so that one day I willbe able to earn a living as a writer, like in a few years when I retire. We'll see how that works out. . .

Bob W. said...

UPDATE: I bought "The Kite Runner yesterday, along with a book on HTML (so I can make my blog look a little better)and "The Prince" by Machiavelli. I am leaving this weekend for a 2 week trip to Alabama, so hopefully I willl have an opportunity to read while I travel!

JuliaMazal said...

As for writing - I find the preview before publishing a post the most helpful. That's when I read the post most objectively and weed out a lot of the extra and redundant words.