Friday, April 13, 2007

defacebook?

I got cornered into joining Facebook.
It's a weird tentacled social interface.

I'm not sure if it's worthwhile... yet.
I think if real face-time with somebody comes out of it, that'll be cool.

Facebook seems like yet another place for me to make social faux-pas.
When you try to quit Facebook, one of the reasons it lists - 'cause you have to tell them why you're quitting - is "Causing too much social drama in life".

Which begs the question, why bother?

Though somewhat aimless, it's kind of addictive too.
With a blog I get to babble on as much as I like, and you can either read or not, as you like.
Facebook is sort of a conversation, but it's mostly shallow conversation - like waving to a lot of people as you pass each other on the street. What do you think?

Anyhow, Fast Company is featuring Facebook and it's creator on their newsstand cover, and there are some blog posts by the author here. They ask, "how much money is Facebook worth?" while I ask, "how much of my time and energy is Facebook worth?" It doesn't have the nickname "crackbook" for nothing.

No comments: