Thursday, April 12, 2007

Need a husband? Like "Entourage"?

I hate "Entourage". I can't watch more than 15 seconds without frown-lines deepening all over my face. It makes me misanthropic, and by that, I don't mean loathing humanity, I mean it makes me hate men. But I digress.

Boy genius, Ryan has linked to the Economist's View blog which refers to a February 2007 National Geographic map of the distribution of single men and women in the U.S.

Ryan feels vindicated - he knew there was a shortage in L.A., he just couldn't prove it.

The b/f and I debated the meaning of this map. My initial reaction was, if all the guys are like those on Entourage, then the gals are likely to leave. Possible. His theory was that if all the Pretty Girls and Homecoming Queens move to L.A., they make the normal-looking girls crazy and they leave. Alternately, the description from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fits too:

"I mean, it's literally like someone took America by the East Coast and *shook* it, and all the normal girls managed to hang on."

Ok, ok, I'm kidding. Mostly.

One other theory I had was entertainment & video games vs. publishing & fashion. I have no research, but if more men are in the former and women in the latter, then it might explain SOME of the distribution. I really don't know.

It's a lonely-looking map for heterosexuals, I'll say that much. Time to start the lame ice-breaker games. Somewhere in Kansas.

No comments: