Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Most Beautiful Words in the English Language

This website has compiled a list of the 100 most beautiful words in the English language.

There are many good words in there, but few that make me swoon lexically. (Lexically is a word, because I say so.) Some of my faves from their list are chatoyant, champagne, and chiaroscuro, which are hardly English. Also, I think eschew and fugacious are hideous words, but they're in the top 100.

I wonder too, how much meaning influences our love of a word? Are gossamer, effervescent, and halcyon really pretty words, or are they pretty because of the images they conjure? If effervescent meant "sewage-drain", and gossamer meant "blood-stained", would we elevate these words so much?
"Listen, I can fix it for ya, but it'll take a couple o' days before the toilet drains properly into the effervescent."
or
"The forensics team had left, leaving McBain alone with his thoughts and the gruesome gossamer walls."
Hm?

No comments: