Wednesday, May 09, 2007

R.I.P. Isabella Blow

Sadly, the style-eccentric with the eye for impeccable talent, Isabella Blow died Monday May 7th. The Los Angeles Times obit is here and it seems to be (at a glance) less salacious than The Daily Mail from the U.K.

I was shocked to see Ms. Blow mentioned in the past tense - I'd only ever seen her in clips on fashion television shows, but she seemed like a force to be reckoned with. Apparently though, behind the panache she had suffered from ovarian cancer and depression.

I expect that Vogue, Tatler, and plenty of other fashion mags will write up tributes, and we might hear from Alexander McQueen and others whose careers she helped fledge.

I only knew of her through television, websites and magazines, but I'll miss her. Like Kevyn Aucoin, she made her mark in an industry that sometimes seems to favour gimmick over quality, by always honing in on quality. She was a muse, an icon, and a guard of high standards. I think I'll wear red lipstick tomorrow in her honour.

No comments: